Pasqua was given a three year sentence, including one year in jail with the rest suspended, and fined 100,000 euros ($150,000) for taking cash and for his role in arranging the sale of weapons in defiance of a U.N. arms embargo during the Angolan civil war.
Saying he had been the victim of a "media lynching," the 82-year-old Pasqua, a former member of the wartime Resistance and a longtime member of Chirac's old guard, went on to the attack Thursday, turning on his former allies in the center-right.
"I declare that the highest authorities of the country were informed," he told a news conference in Paris, naming Chirac, former Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and a number of senior French officials. "This is an affair of state," he said.
The scandal is the latest in a series to have engulfed Chirac and the old center-right establishment since President Nicolas Sarkozy came to power in 2007.
Chirac himself has been ordered to stand trial in a separate embezzlement case and Villepin is awaiting judgment after the so-called "Clearstream trial" over charges that he tried to smear Sarkozy when they were rival ministers to prevent him winning the presidency.
The "Angolagate" trial centered on $790 million in arms sales to Angolan President Eduardo dos Santos's MPLA between 1993 and 1998, when it was fighting UNITA rebels led by Jonas Savimbi. The 27-year war ended with Savimbi's battlefield death in 2002.
Pasqua, who is facing charges in several unrelated corruption cases, rejected the Angolagate ruling, calling it "a judgment which I find scandalous and which I don't accept."
He has appealed the verdict, meaning that for the time being at least, it is suspended.
(Reporting by James Mackenzie; editing by David Stamp)